Sunday, July 27, 2008

Music for the years of my life

I don't remember where I found this but I thought that it was pretty nifty and harder than I thought.

Go to Wikipedia's Table of Years in Music.
Then choose your album for each year of your life.

Now that's where it got tough for me. First of all this is what you do if you have insomnia. It's a long process. I then broke the years into different sections of my life.


This part is from 0-10 years old. Since I was number 8 of 9 children, the albums from this section are ones that my brothers and sisters had and I remember listening to alot and I still listen to and love. Especially that 1971 David Bowie. I've been listening to that alot in the last month.

1969 Abbey Road - The Beatles
1970 Sweet Baby James - James Taylor
1971 Hunky Dory - David Bowie
1972 The Divine Miss M - Bette Midler
1973 Dark Side of the Moon - Pink Floyd
1974 Jolene - Dolly Parton
1975 Horses - Patti Smith
1976 Warren Zevon - Warren Zevon
1977 My Aim is True - Elvis Costello
1978 Time Passages - Al Stewart
1979 I'm the Man - Joe Jackson

This section is from 5th to 8th grade. Yes, lots of pop as usual and I tried to just pick the ones that actually purchased in that year. As I went through the sections, their were lots of albums that I purchased at other times in my life but I had to have these when they first dropped. Yeah, I'm not proud of this.

1980 INXS - INXS
1981 Beauty and the Beat - The Go Go's
1982 Lexicon of Love - ABC
1983 Madonna - Madonna

Same disclaimer as above but these are from High School.

1984 Waking Up with the House on Fire - Culture Club
1985 Little Creatures - Talking Heads
1986 Home of the Brave - Laurie Anderson
1987 Music for the Masses - Depeche Mode

So this is after High School, during my first attempt to go to college, I left the church that I was brought up in, in 1990, and ended up with a very bad icky relationship.

1988 Green - REM
1989 Love and Rockets - Love and Rockets
1990 Blue Sky Mining - Midnight Oil
1991 Seal - Seal

Yellowstone summers, where I struggled with the guilt of having fun fun fun. I also made some great friends but only keep in touch with one of them on a regular basis. I guess it's easier if they live in another country. It was a pretty selfish time. I think that 1992 and 1994 were the best for very different reason. I mean the summers not the albums. 1992 was meeting some really great people who helped with my deprogramming and enter another part of my life. 1994, I was given such a great gift for the first time that I think that I owe a certain someone a brand new car, seriously.

1992 Apollo 18 - They Might Be Giants
1993 Debut - Björk
1994 Mellow Gold - Beck

Ok so now back to the realities of finding a job in Phoenix. I met my future husband in 1995 and these are the years before the wedding.

1995 Forever Blue - Chris Isaak
1996 Born on a Pirate Ship - Barenaked Ladies
1997 The Slim Shady EP - Eminem

So this is it so far in the marriage. Kinda weird that I would identify myself as being unmarried then married. I think that there is some of that old religion creeping in. dammit.

The other problem for me with this section is that "Who buys a whole album -oops showing my age- Who buys a whole CD at a store?" I generally will just purchase a few songs off the internet. These are the one that I felt like I had to have the jewel box and CD liner notes.

1998 5 - Lenny Kravitz
1999 Mirrorball - Sarah McLachlan
2000 Return of Saturn - No Doubt
2001 Fever - Kylie Minogue
2002 Songs About Jane - Maroon 5
2003 Speakerboxxx/The Love Below - Outkast
2004 To the 5 boroughs - Beastie Boys
2005 Fijación Oral Vol. 1 - Shakira
2006 Loose - Nelly Furtado
2007 Icky Thump - White Stripes
2008 We Sing, We Dance, We Steal Things - Jason Mraz

I also tried not to repeat an artist. See I would have just filled in the years that every REM CD came out after my first purchase in 1988. Perfect example would be this year. REM's Accelerate came out and I made sure that I went to the local Corporate store and bought it that same weekend.

So these are it. Let the making fun of anne commence...

No comments:

Post a Comment